25 May 2012

The Size of Kindness

'The smallest acts of kindness.'




I started to tell someone today that even the smallest act of kindness brings tears to my eyes lately. But then I stopped and asked myself, "Are there any 'small' acts of kindness?"




Really. Isn't that a little bit like saying something was a 'little bit wonderful?' ‘Wonderful’ doesn't seem quantifiable, does it?




I feel the same way about kindness. The sweet and thoughtful gesture of someone who cares about you...the friend who not only thinks about showing you a kindness, but then follows through...




Invitation to lunch.



The colorful card left on my chair at work.



Wearing a kilt for me.



The leisurely phone call for no specific reason.



Late night Skype.



A hand-picked wildflower left for me.



A "Hey, how are you?" Scottish email.





All important and all appreciated and not a single one of them could be called small.




I have someone who texts me almost every morning to help me get my day started on the most positive note. Texts. Do you know how many times I've 'lovingly' mocked and teased those who text as a regular form of communication? But now it's one of my precious lifelines.




Kindness is, by definition, abundance.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now if we could just get the rest of the world to be as kind to one another as you have been treated lately.
Can you start working on that?

Barbie Scarlet said...

Okay, started working on that.

I handed out truffles today.

Do hand-dipped dark chocolate truffles count as a kindness? I hope they do.

I HOPE THEY DO!!

~ B