15 December 2010

THINK SNOW...Movies

I love movies. I love snow.


Snow movies might not be a universally recognized movie genre but universal recognition is over-rated.

The movie genres used at the library system where I work are:
For the Youngest (Sesame Street)
Family (Toy Story, Big)
Comedy (That Thing You Do, Splash, Turner & Hooch, Money Pit)
Drama (Forrest Gump, Cast Away)
Action (Apollo 13, Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan)
Suspense (Angels & Demons, Da Vinci Code)
Sci-fi (The Green Mile, City of Ember)
Horror (The 'burbs, Ladykillers, okay maybe not 'HORROR' but horrible for sure!)
Anime (Your guess is at least as good as mine, here....)
Special Interest (Concert for George, seriously go look it up. He plays one of the Mounties!)

I recently participated in an Intervention which took the form of a Tom Hanks marathon. A bit of deprogramming for the sake of the greater good, and in retrospect I have this to say:
Fuckin' Hanks, Baby!

Okay, way off track there.

Back to Snow Movies. Movies we seem drawn to around the holidays and through the winter months primarily because of serious snow seduction. (Not including out-right Christmas flicks.)


Here's my list:
  • Family Stone
  • Snowball Express
  • Grumpy Old Men

Barbie's Honorable Mentions:
  • New in Town
  • Mystery, Alaska
  • Day After Tomorrow
  • Dr. Zhivago
  • Bridget Jones
  • Cold Mountain

Also Groundhog Day and Snow Dogs (Yes, yes, I know. Shut up.)

I also love the snow scenes in the Harry Potter movies. I wish there were more.

And even though I don't want to hear about your edgy, horror snow favorites, I'll say it:
The Shining. I have erased all the dark disturbing stuff from my mental data banks but I do recall loving the snow.

Now, tell me your favorite SNOW Movies! This is important stuff, who knows what I might be missing?

6 comments:

DarcyAnn said...

I am on board with the "Tom Hanks" thing, but you're other choices are getting a little "rene zellwiggery" on me. I am not a fan. I know I know she's a great actress, blah blah blah. My favorite holiday choices are "Charlie Brown Christmas," "The Grinch..." and "Rudolf..." narrated by Burl Ives.

Wintery nights scream for "Waking Ned Divine" and "Assassin in Love." Yes I'm Irish. Also "Die Hard" (Mr. Nakatomi will not be joining us for the rest of his life.) and "True Lies."

There are many romances to love but I will keep it to these three: All time fave - "Goodbye Girl," "A Knight's Tale" & "The Holiday." (the little girls in holiday are simply lovely. best scene ever.)

Hows that?

Anonymous said...

Other fun snow scene non-holiday movies:

Home Alone

Empire Strikes Back

Dumb and Dumber (Snowball fight)

Die Hard 2

Strange Brew

and 'oh ya you betcha' Fargo.

Real good then...

Barbie Scarlet said...

Yes Darcy. I had forgotten about the Renee Z. thing. Sorry. We've talk of this before.
The Tom Hanks Thing is not a 'thing' in the same way that the Val Kilmer and the Micheal Keaton Things are 'things.' Tom Hanks (in this post) was more of a 'shot' than a 'thing.' We can talk about this another time. Remind me.

I have never heard of Assassin in Love. Do you own it? I couldn't find it in the library catalog.

And I'm with you on the Goodbye Girl and Knight's Tale but I have the same feelings about Cameron D. that you have about Renee Z. Although The Holiday is worth watch once for the little girls.

Thanks for your list, Lovey!

Barbie Scarlet said...

You know I don't remember any snow in Strange Brew. Was it before or after "Okay, okay you boss me around!" And yes, Home Alone and Fargo of course. Good choices.

Although I'll tell you that the most lingering memory of Empire for me is not the snow, exactly.

Thanks for your movies, Moon Pie.

noway said...

Anyone say Edward Scissorhands?

Barbie Scarlet said...

No, you're the first to suggest Edward Scissorhand. Johnny Depp and snow. Win~Win.

I need to also add Lars and the Real Girl.