12 December 2010

Here's the deal, if I had a magic wand...

...I'd wave it over those people who do not put up Christmas lights at Christmas time.

Not that I'd smite them or anything. I have no hard feelings or any ill-will. Live and let live is my motto, (or at least it was once a long time ago for about five minutes).

If you do not put Christmas lights up, that's fine. Suit yourself. But if I had a magic wand, I'd wave it over your Grinchy green head and make it so that you could not see the Christmas lights of others. None!

You would drive, as usual, along your regularly beaten path: To work, to the grocery store, to Walmart, to the strip club off you go, but each house you pass would be the same dark, unfriendly houses they are the other eleven months of the year. You would not get to leech Christmas Spirit from others.

If on the other mittened hand, you are not too cool to show some sweet, shiny, twinkly holiday cheer to anyone who happens down your Santa Claus lane then (and only then) you would get to fully soak up and enjoy all the Christmas lights of those generous souls around you.

This 'too cool' thing is driving me crazy and you'll be hearing from me on this again soon.

1 comment:

noway said...

I wholeheartedly understand where you are coming from in regards to your feelings about the lack of cheer when I drive down dark after dark street. I tend to overcome the feeling of annoyance or frustration by thinking these are the very people that need the Christmas cheer the most, and maybe with time a new mindset will emerge for this person or family and next year their house will shine when it was so dark years before.

Today we try to do our part and our simple illuminated window ledge and bushes will have to suffice.
In the war of color lights (us) vs white lights (them) I concede to the neighbors’ Costco buying power.