29 November 2010

Spin Potter: The rest of the story

This post is part TWO of Don't Make Eye Contact. (See previous post below.)





So I decided I could take "I'm going to see it again," in more than one way.


My first instinct was "Well, you're not going to go see it a second time if you HATED it." Right? Too much information already.


But I decided that this doesn't necessarily mean she loved it. It just means she probably didn't hate it. I can live with that. Look at me embracing ambiguity.


I choose to believe that she wasn't exactly sure what she thought of it. Close one.





I went to see HP and the DHs Part One last Sunday.





After an exclusive brunch of biscuits, granola parfaits, crab omelet, some form of potatoes and a mango Mimosa I went to see HP.





I tried to go in without expectation of any sort. I've read the book once. Listened to it, probably three or four times. Discussed the intricate plot twists and therapy inducing turns countless times.





As with all HP movies I knew it would, could never contain it all. There is no way to include every thing. It's too bad but it's true.


When I left the theater after about half of the credits, I wasn't sure how I felt. I realized that I may be in exactly the same boat as my friend at work. I may need to see it again to really know what I think, how I feel.


But you know me, I'm happy to tell you what I think until then.





I didn't hate it.


It felt like a lot to take in.


I was not overly distracted by the places where it deviates from the written version.


There were some scenes and portrayals that I loved.


And at least two scenes that caused eye-rolling and deep groaning.


But mostly I didn't hate it.





I know this might not sound like a rave, but don't be so sure. I was actually quite impressed with how loyal the script and the director seem to cling to the book. I'm grateful. It must be easy to warp and twist and morph and cave purely for the sake of ticket sales. I didn't see this. Good for you, millionaire movie maker types.





The movie is about magic folk but more than once I remember thinking, why aren't they 'magicking' that glass of water or chandelier bomb. But it was fleeting and not overly disappointing. Mildly, but not overly.





I like this movie. I think. I'll need to see it again to be sure. I want to take it in.





One thing is sure. In spite of the fact that it is filled with characters capable of magic, this movie is not magical. It just isn't.





But to be fair neither was


C of S,


P of A,


G of F,


O of the Ph


and H-B P.





They vary in their quality of story telling. Each movie. Their deviation from the books, or not. Their trueness to the characters, or not.


But the only one that was truly magical was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. It will never be the same. HP virginity. Sorcerer's Stone.

The Dursley's, the Hogwart's Express, Hagrid's hut, Dumbledore's beard, the Griffindor commons room, the Quiddich field. It was never again, pure and untainted after SS.

That movie was magical in a way I've never felt before or since. And I'm not optimistic about the future.

Was this the way people felt when they first saw The Wizard of Oz or Gone with the Wind?


Well wait a minute, I did go see Star Wars A New Hope seven times in the theater so maybe lightening does strike twice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely about the magic thing. Sorcerers Stone had it for sure. Although I never saw it in the theater. Same can probably be said about George Lucas and the order in which he intended to disappoint us. The magic was there in New Hope. Then away it faded. Oh well.

Nice review. :) Hope you enjoy it more upon further review.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous said...

Who is Harry Potter and why are you seeing him twice in a theater? heh heh heh Guess who

noway said...

P Of A gets no love? It’s the root of Potter film magic.

I feel it’s always best to measure these films based on what they are - films. Hands down the best HP film is Azkaban, and to say it’s not filled with magic is folly. There is more magic in a Dementors pinky toe than in the entire franchise. (Film perspective) CuarĂ³n’s work on P of A is light years ahead of any of the other films. After Children of Men, the studios should have immediately green lit him the contract for the remainder of the films. By not choosing him over fucking Yates the franchise has robbed us all of the magic we all seek.

Long live SB :P