28 January 2010

Just kidding about that Lawrence Welk thing.....

Apparently, I have morphed into a member of my parent’s generation. Or their parent’s generation.

It’s true.
How do I know?

Earlier today I distinctly heard myself think these words: “They just don’t write songs like that anymore.” Then without passing Go, I proceeded directly to the logical conclusion that later when I got home, if I looked hard enough I could probably find a Lawrence Welk rerun somewhere on cable. If I’m lucky. Not really.

But I did have this telling, generational, elitist, ageist, narrow-minded thought:
“They just don’t write songs like that anymore.”

I was driving in my car listening to Michael Bublè remind me that “The Best is Yet to Come” at the top of my lungs. Soaking up the truth of this energy. Imbibing the words as I drove. Amazing, shiny power. With clarity and certainty he sings, “You think you’ve seen the sun but you ain’t seen it shine!” I believe this. “The Best is Yet to Come.” Indeed.

In 2007, my very first blog post EVER, brimmed with The Best is Yet to Come commentary. My certainty and motivation has dipped some since then. It's waxed and swayed, this way and fro. It will rebound for awhile, getting my hopes all dancy, then I'll slump, leaving me feeling a little bit like the stock market.

How is it that such positive energy is so fleeting? Yet discouraged and defeated can be so consistently in-house? Me constantly trying to sweep it out of the way. Who created this system? It leaves me feeling weak and vulnerable, like I don't have anything to say about it at all. Without power.

How is it I can 'know better' yet fail to 'do better?'

Wow, this blog post certainly took a sharp left turn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. "They" (the bastards) do not do a lot of things like they used to, including writing songs, that is for sure.

Congratulations on your three year blogging Anniversary (Next Month). Your magic words have kept us laughing and smiling and crying along with you the whole way.

Keep it up! Can't wait for more of your great genius to come. Oh yeah!