18 October 2011

Serendipitousness

I remember my daughter coming home from school a number of years ago using the word 'random' to excess. Suddenly everything was random. And it drove me crazy. (Do you remember "like" from the eighties? Do you remember "like" from last week?)

Random was a perfectly good word before everyone started throwing it around all misappropriation-like. I called foul! 'Vocabulary Abuse.'

"Wow, that was so random!" she would exclaim.
I love you Sweetie, but if you say 'random' one more time tonight I'm going to do something, I'm not sure what. But when I'm done, you'll be saying "Wow, that was so premeditated!"

There are some blog posts for which there is no rhyme or reason. So naturally, today as this one was cooking in my head I kept thinking of the word 'random' but the vocabulary trauma I've sustained is too great and I just can't use it for my title. Besides deep down, I am not sure I believe in random. Quite the opposite, in fact.

That being said....






  • Lately my hair has a will of its own. And it seems no matter what I do, I still walk out the door each day with a bit of Glenn Close from Fatal Attraction going on. It really has no correlation with my energy, so if you pass my in the hall try not to be frightened. I promise I will not harm you in any way. No retraining order needed. Your pet rabbit is safe with me.


  • Today I sat in a restaurant enjoying a quiet bit of breakfast when I noticed that Bonnie Raitt was singing Angel From Montgomery "Just give me one thing that I can hold onto," from the speakers over my head. Then Joni Mitchel sang Help Me, "I think I'm falling in love again. When I get that crazy feeling, I know I'm in trouble again." After genius Joni, the Beatles came on and I'm thinking this is going to be a good day! I can feel it. As soon as I leave here, I'm going to go buy a lottery ticket. But then the Eagles began Desperado. "I hate the fucking Eagles, man!" Enough said.


  • I spoke to someone earlier who works in a public library; he said today he overheard a teen boy and teen girl talking in the stacks. And everything was 'epic.' This book is so epic, that book is so epic. Then the boy picks up a book and says, "This is kind of epic."


  • In spite of the aforementioned Eagles, today was a better day than yesterday. For this I am grateful.


  • Fall Colors: Time to change from Pompeii Purple to An Affair In Red Square.

  • Today I walked past a huge bin of books that are to be disposed. On the top of the pile was the book: The Care of Fine Books
Remind me you're out there, when you get a moment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for future reference, the 90's version of Like and Random was "Whatever".

It was the answer to 90 percent of all questions asked during the decade.

Unknown said...

My brother hates it when you say "Whatever." He says it is dismissive. My mom said it so much that he bought a t-shirt that said "Whatever." So she stopped saying it to him and would point to her shirt. I'd say it to him to annoy him. Thinking about this cracks me up! I love my family!

Anonymous said...

Years ago after a wonderfully exhausting day walking by myself for hours in Athens (last day before flying home after a crusie - my travel companions didn't care to sightsee any more, but I certainly wanted to see THIS city!) I stood in front of a impressively-large, gorgeously carved and ornate, columned white marble building - just staring up in rapture, and a couple walked up to also gawk. She asked me what I thought of it. Being tired, not really interested in talking, but not wishing to be rude, I smiled and from somewhere dredged up an artifact of a 70's (?) overused term, and said with an appreciative smile, "It is pretty cool." )

At which point, the gentleman inthe party without ever looking at me, took off on a loud, long rant about how Americans had totally corrupted the English language, totally embarassing his wife. (And I was worried about being rude??)

Therefore: Vocabulary abuse CAN lead to vocabulary rage.... glad he wasn't carrying an umbrella to poke me with! I would have been black and blue.

Anonymous said...

I stopped in on a quick break and read back to September. I smiled, laughed, nodded thoughtfully, nodded vigorously and then thought, “Barbie is so great and charming and clever, I am always so glad to see her.” Thank you!

Kiwi said...

I remember in the 70s always hearing yeah cool man. I always thought everyone was simply wasted, then I realized, it's just considered hip to say it. And then there was the word hip. :) I still say...dude...drives my kid crazy.
Kiwi

Elise said...

I actually rather like "[That's/ she's/ he's so random." Unlike the dismissive, sullen interjection "Whatever," which stymies discussion, the declaration of randomness invites further conversation. I've had many pleasant, hilarious or commiserating cubicle chats that have started with "This is really random, but--"

Thanks, Barbie, for this pondering post.

Anonymous said...

Ha - I am random and always have been. It is ME. I bounce all over - in life, in conversation, in work, in play, in sleep. Oh no - I guess that would make me a Jack Russell if I were canine. I randomly decide to have ice cream for supper, or to shop at 10 p.m., perhaps stop and buy someone something because I can. Almost every day I randomly get dressed, which shows I like have no fashion sense. And I also randomly kiss strange dogs in parking lots. HA - me, the squirrel