15 November 2011

Hands Full

I'm grateful for the technology that I'm not addicted to.

When I drive, I always use a Bluetooth hands-free device. When the law about cell phones and driving in our state took effect, I was a little put out because I would now need to go buy some gadgetry thing that I was living fine without. But I got one anyway. And I use it. And have now gotten to the point where I don't like talking without it, whether I'm driving or not because frankly I can hear you better with it, than without it.

When I'm at work, I use a hands-free head set that allows my hands to be free to type as I'm helping (ideally) someone on the phone. I can also cruise around the building and am not tethered to my PC.

So now between home and work, I very commonly have some thing plugged into my left ear.
Today I stopped by one of our branches to make an IT Branch Visit (I love these!) and 'worked' there for about two hours before I went to my eight hour shift in my department. Before starting the branch visit, I turn my phone off and stow it away.
However at the end of my visit, I realize I've walked around that branch talking to people and speaking IT for two hours with the ridiculous blue tooth stuck in my ear. I've grown so accustomed to having something in my left ear that I no longer even notice.
THIS IS A WARNING SIGN! The first stages of something that I do not want to see the second stage of.

So today, I've decided to be grateful for all the other techie devices that I am not dependent on.

If you call the Helpdesk and it goes to voicemail, you'll know that it's me trembling in the corner trying to kick my head set habit.

No comments: