30 November 2008

All Lived Happily Ever After

It’s thought that we are all either ‘glass is half full’ or ‘glass is half empty’ kind of people. That, depending on our disposition and outlook on life, we are either looking on the bright side or lamenting our deficits.

This is definitely one way of thinking. But my questions is this: “What is with this ‘half’ crap? Half? Who the hell came up with this?

Here’s a suggestion. Instead, what if we were all ‘cup runneth over’ kind of people? Think about it..... Admit it, this might be the way to go. Are you with me? Take a page out of Dr. Venkman's book, "I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it! LET'S DO IT"


Below is the list of all my ‘gratitudes’ through out the month of November 2008. I don’t see any signs of ‘half’ anything. It’s all abundance, a month of cornucopia and plethora. It’s rich with emotional treasures and spiritual prosperity, among other things. And except for the retentive slice of me that thinks of the mess involved with a cup that is ever running over, I ask myself “Why would I ever think of life as ‘half?’ Give me abundance and superfluity. (I am thankful for my worn out thesaurus.)

November 1
I am thankful this Christmas will be different.

November 2
I am thankful for the clock falling back last night.

November 3
I am grateful for food that requires investment and time.

November 4
I am grateful that I was alive today to witness this historical election

November 5
I am thankful to the people who gathered and removed political signs today.

November 6
I am grateful for today’s windy weather.

November 7
I am thankful for the sound of rain outside my window, wind chimes tinkling in the night and laptop glow on my lap.

November 8
I am grateful learning the intense, priceless benefit in expressing appreciation.

November 9
I am grateful for people who boldly show appreciation for our troops.

November 10
I'm thankful that I'm a girl and for the amazing girls in my life.

November 11
I am thankful to our veterans and our active duty military.

November 12
I am grateful for The Wizard of Oz.

November 13
I am thankful my 17 year-old daughter asks about once a week, “Mom do you want to watch a movie with me?”

November 14
I am grateful for the anonymous comment that sent me back to my first blog posts.

November 15
I am grateful that my heart is open and ready for new Christmas adventure and opportunity.

November 16
I am thankful for weather to be watched

November 17
I'm thankful for the book Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and all 3x5 cards.

November 18
I am grateful for energy and inspiration, even when it is momentarily absent.

November 19
I am thankful for an abundance of office supplies.

November 20
I am thankful for gratitude rewards and for independent wealth.

November 21
I am grateful today for Dr. Peter Venkman and getting to watch for the shiny in life.

November 22
I am grateful for the things in life that I can’t wait to do.

November 23
I am thankful to friends and family who’ve taken the time to let me know they appreciate me.

November 24
I am thankful for good (and sometimes, not so good but still funny) movie quotes.

November 25
I am grateful for dessert first.

November 26
I am grateful for champagne and no concern in my head.

November 27
I am thankful for Thanksgiving leftovers. Turkey sandwich with Lays chips and a Coke on ice.

November 28
I am grateful this is the best Christmas ever (at least until next year…)!

November 29
I am thankful for the liberty to write here, or anywhere, exactly and only when the spirit moves. Thank you, thank you....*deep breath* thank you.



November 30

On this last day of November, I am thankful for those who come here to read. Thank you whether you come here daily, oftenly or haphazardly. I love you and I thank you.

I say goodbye and thank you to November today. I’m ready for December. I want to just add before I finish here, that in addition to the things I listed each day, there was so very much more. Stuff not yet ready for prime time, stuff too lengthy to go into here, intimate personal stuff, just lots of other stuff. You gotta love stuff!

As December arrives, I think of a quote from the Gene Wilder old school Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. “Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted."

(S)he lived happily ever after. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbie,

Thank you so much for your constant expressions of gratitude all month long. This is an exceptional list you have constructed. Thank you for choosing to share it with all of us. And thank you for putting yourself out in the open this way. This month long project reaffirms that you are self assured, self confident and comfortable in who you are. Which is, in case you are not paying attention, an amazing writer.


I think that many people choose not to write or share because they think that they do not have anything worthwhile to say, and/or they feel like they can not say things very well. You suffer from neither of these self inflicted ailments. Your words are so worthwhile, so well spoken, so loved and so chosen. I hope it feels as good to write on your end as is it does to read on ours. Soon everyone is going to read your words and come to the same conclusions that the people who read your blog already have. That you rock Barbie! Yes, yes, yes you do!

What a real treat of a month. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing. Three cheers for you and your overflowing cup. Yeah!