03 November 2008

Daily Bread

Today I'm thankful.

I am grateful for food that requires work.

Steamed artichokes. Crab legs.

I love food that takes two hands and one's full attention.

Grapefruit. Steamed mussels.

I love when my food is of the 'some assembly required' variety.

Fajitas. Nachos.

Eating nachos might not be a choreographed experience for some people. But I can tell you, if the only way you know how to eat nachos is so that there's a little bit of each & every topping represented on each & every single chip, that takes some serious concentration and skill, if I do say so myself. *Blowing on, then shining my nails on my shirt*

There are so many things in life that we can accomplish quite mindlessly. This is a shame. I try to make sure that the food I eat is not one of them.

I have profound appreciation for food that takes coordination and deliberation.

Chopsticks.

I love dipping and scooping.

Chips and crackers and torn chunks of exceptional bread.

I hate when I'm preoccupied while I'm eating and the next thing I know, I look down and my meal is done.

I want to savor, enjoy, relish my meals. I appreciate it so much more when it is a very personal and intentional experience.

Pomegranates.

I can't pull this off every time, of course.... McFries and a Coke..... but when I can, I'm much more satisfied at the end of the meal.

I feel fuller, happier. Satiated. Food sustains me, it propels me and nourishes my spirit.

For this I am thankful. (And now quite hungry...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man I am so glad you mentioned Pomegranates, It is one of my most favorite foods to play with and eat. And they are delicious and good for you AND in season right now. Triple win!

Such a great blog. Celebrate your food and your life. In fact until further notice, lets just celebrate everything shall we? Including three consecutive blog posts. Very cool Barbie. You totally rock the blog!

Aaron