01 November 2008

I've won a major prize.....

The most wonderful time of the year is cresting on the retail horizon.

Well, in the name of fairness, maybe not so much this year as much as some previous, but I'm okay with that.

In fact, I might be revelling in this fact.

I personally think that the time honored tradition of Retail - Advertising - Sunday circular - 'Hottest item in low supply (hmmm, curiously enough, year after year....)' - "Friday after Thanksgiving 4:30 a.m. or you're completely screwed" shopping line with free donut holes for the first six customers - Cabbage Patch doll and Wii scarcity hives could use a little pendulum reality swing way the other way in 2008.

Fa la la la la, la la la la.

I'm ready for a season of giving, but not of the old school WalMart price slashing version.

And I'm starting my holiday merriment early this year. Early in terms of my own standards, not the standards of Macy's or Target, both of which probably started decking their mall halls back in June.

Historically, I love the holiday season. Some years my heart is more into it than others, but over the curve of my life, on average Christmas and the five or six weeks preceding are my favorite.

I love the songs. I love the colors. I love the lights. I especially love the lights. I love the planning and shopping for that uniquely perfect gift that people can't believe I found or remembered. I love wrapping presents, drinking hot cocoa with Schnapps and watching The Christmas Story alone in the house. "You'll shoot your eye out!"

I love the traditions. In our family, the new yearly ornaments for each off spring to help begin their own collection with their own new families. Cookie Christmas, with outrageous cookie decorating designs, some appropriate for all audiences and some not. Hot, spiced apple cider. Stocking stuffing.

I could go on, and you know me, I will at some point.

But for now. I'll leave you with what I know today.

I'm grateful.

November 1, 2008 I'm grateful. I am thankful for the clarity that this Christmas will be different. Meaningful. Thank goodness the economic shift has brought to my mind the intent to unplug from the retail Christmas machine. I'm not saying I'll buy nothing. I'm not saying the gifts I give will not be wrapped in pretty, shiny gift wrap. But I am saying it will be remarkably and drastically different from years past. I am determined to think outside the marketing box.

And I suggest you give this some thought yourself. Think of ways to untangle your thinking of what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown. Disengage the sales and the specials insert from your central nervous system. Consider not putting so much of your life energy and economic investment into financial aspects of giving. Give of yourself in other ways. Ways of loving, of celebration. See how special you can make your loved ones feel this Christmas with your words, with your appreciation, with your support and encouragement.

Invest in the people you love, not the people who own Sears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You tell me how you do after Christmas. I mean, how it all 'went'.. I always aim for such a wonderful thing as holding my funds back a bit. No matter what though, I always stress out at not being able to GIVE as much as I want to GIVE. But they all have so much. I DESpISE the idea of disappointing anyone. I think I need to invest in some sort of Christmas therapist.

FloridaLaurida