12 November 2008

The chipmunks genuflect to me...

There's this thing that happens. Something I passionately want to write about will mean so much to me that I will not settle for less than my very best.



Then, as it turns out, life will not permit the time and energy it takes to do my best. I'd have to schedule vacation time from work. I'd need to send my family or myself away into isolation to really get it done perfectly. I'd require the ability to put the rest of the world in temporary stasis. (Man, I wish. Wouldn't that be sweet?)



But instead of acknowledging that 'perfect' is simply not going to happen and admitting that I can live with 'really good' instead, I hold out for the impossible and it never gets done at all.



My ridiculously high expectations shoot me right in the foot. Keep in mind that my feet are my best feature, so this is no small act of self-destruction.



I had such high expectations for my blog post for yesterday. Veterans Day. There was so much I wanted to say. And I wanted to say it so well. I kept starting, then pausing. I'd come back to it, start again, than get discouraged and stop again. I simply could not do a good enough job. At least by my own standards.



Then in the end, I have nothing written for Veterans Day and I feel defeat at my own hand. There is a post for yesterday but it is nothing compared to the piece I was aiming for. And as an added bonus, I end up days behind in my attempt to write at least a little bit here each day of November. The accumulative effect is that I am not feeling a very strong spirit of gratitude in any area at all.

There's probably a pretty important lesson in this. But my current self pity might be preventing me from seeing it.

In spite of this, however. . . . . .


. . . . .I am grateful for The Wizard of Oz. There is magic in this movie. I'm a great fan of the Ruby Slippers.

The quotes and songs from Munchkinland are my favorites but I love them all

The wicked old witch at last is dead.

I'll get you, my pretty.

You have no power here! Now begone, before somebody drops a house on you!

You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking.

Poppies, poppies.

I am Dorothy, the small and meek.

I thoroughly examined her, She's not only merely dead , She's really most sincerely dead.

How about a hippopotamus? Why, I'd thrash him from top to bottomus!

My dear, you didn't need the Ruby Slippers. You've always had the power within you.

I am always ever grateful for The Wizard of Oz. Now I'm much more in the state of mind to go back and look for that lesson.

No comments: