20 November 2008

Make It So

Like attracts like. It's a trendy belief lately. At least it feels 'lately' to me. Some say it's been around for ages.


Like attracts like. This is a great thought.

It's the belief that gratitude attracts gratitude. Genuine attracts genuine. That if you have a happy, positive attitude, you will draw others with similar attitudes. I'd like to believe this. That what we dwell on is what we will draw to us, what will cross our path.

This is all a little bit airy and whimsical for some people. A bit lofty. Okay, well I admit for me as well, sometimes. Most times. I was born under a skeptical star. Whatever that sign is. I was born with my chubby little baby arms crossed across my baby bare chest and a cynical smirk on my pale face. "Prove it," were probably the first two words I strung together. And I was not kidding around, either.

I'm not here today to try to convince you of or dissuade you from this 'like attracts like' belief. But I will share this.....

A couple of days ago, I was thinking and then writing here about how much I love, LOVE 3x5 cards. This was not an exaggeration. I love them. I love the feel of them. I love the precious precision of them. I love what they stand for. I love that even though they used to only come in white, they now come on pink, blue, yellow, green. Pastels, neons. What's not to love.

I just wrote about it. That's all. Expressing my appreciation and gratitude for a shiny sliver of a shiny life.

Two days later I was doing my very predictable work of checking in library material that had been dropped in our book drop over night. It's a regular, rather mindless part of my job. I don't know what I was thinking about as I scanned and ordered returning items that day, when six 3x5 cards fell out of a book. Three lavender and three yellow. My breath caught in my throat.

Now it's a bit of an adventure, some of the items that get slipped into the pages of library books. And sometimes it is disappointing what people use to mark their place. But mostly it's fun and entertaining the things people substitute for book marks. Today I got a six of hearts. Made me smile.

Weeks will go by without any thing falling out of the pages of a library book. I got a lottery ticket once. Non-winner.

This week I spoke my gratitude for 3x5 cards and two days later I got more. Completely out of the blue. I love this system!

Today I'd like to say how thankful I am for independent wealth. Whoo hoo, stand back!

1 comment:

Wild Women Write said...

Barbie,
Well, this made me laugh. I appreciate it, the whole thing. I'm interested in "independent wealth". Where are you going with that.
Maybe it's just me, but I could stand to read one of these, maybe more than one, if I had so many friends, and yes, to write one. I think we should do it. If it just sits there and gathers mold, I'll know I live in Washington.
Going to Pt. Townsend this weekend, but after that, Monday? maybe we could talk about setting up a blog for me. If that doesn't work, Tuesday. a good time to call is about 7 pm 584-4014. Or let me know a good time to call you and we can do it that way.
This is scary,
Kristina
Kristina