23 November 2008

Thank you, Thank you very much

You've heard of the movie "The Bucket List" and are probably aware of the concept. Making a list of things you'd like to accomplish before you die. I am in full support of this thinking. And I am a renowned list maker, so it's win-win in my book. (I adore that phrase "my book.")

I love the idea of naming our dreams. Claiming them. Writing them down. Just the thinking "When I get to the end of my life, what would I want to say I've accomplished?" Living a life everyday with our most beautiful, shiny living in mind.


There's another list of which I'm a big fan. It isn't a movie yet, but maybe someday.


"The Blessing List"


It is only a few more days until Thanksgiving and there are probably a lot of things on your mind just now:


What size turkey will I need?

How many suit cases should I pack?

Will the pass be snowy? Should I take the chains?

How many people are coming? Going?

Will the airport lines be long? Will the baby sleep on the flight?

Will Colin eat anything besides mashed potatoes and rolls?

Will I have to sit next to Uncle George? And is there enough wine in the world?


Stop. STOP right now! This is not what Thanksgiving is about. Stop making that mental list of chores. Breathe and melt into another way of thinking. Even if just for a few minutes today. For the next few days. Think of your blessings instead. Make a Blessing List. List especially the people who have been a blessing.

Let your thoughts dwell on the people who've crossed your path. In all ways. Those ways most grand. And in the very smallest ways, almost invisible to the naked eye.

Write down their names. Send your thanks out into the open universe, then thank them directly.

Remember and give gratitude to....

...the person who taught you to tie your shoes, drive a stick shift.

...the person who introduced you to the Beatles's, to Nirvana.

...the person who first admired your painting, your writing, your Lego skill.

...the person who taught you to use chopsticks, to eat an artichoke, catch a crab.

...the person with whom you first played chess, backgammon, cribbage, Attack from Mars.

Who would we be without the people we meet along the way?

I read this quote a couple of days ago,

The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.

~ John E. Southard.

Say Thank You to that someone who comes to your mind today. I think our mind works perfectly this way. Call, email, stop by. Make the time. Share gratitude.

Today I'm thankful for those family and friends of mine who've made the time at some point to let me know they were grateful for me.

No comments: