28 November 2008

"I can't put my arms down!"

Predictably enough, I have Christmas movies on my mind the last few days.

I love thinking of what's 'Coming Soon' to a TV screen near me. These are my personal favorites, in no certain order (if you can believe that):

A Christmas Story
Charlie Brown Christmas
Christmas Vacation
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (1955)
Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version)
Because It's Christmas; Barry Manilow (Kidding)



Classics all. Okay, okay I know there are a few missing: Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Even as a very small child, I was never a Frosty fan. And Rudolph scared the crap out of me. That abominable snowman guy was just frightening.

Whether I catch them on TV, borrow them from the library or dust them off out of my own stash....they are coming. And I can't wait! Christmas movies. One of the many shiny reasons I love this time of year.

This year, as well as the predictable, I find myself drawn to some movies that aren't generally thought of as Christmas movies but are set almost entirely during that most wonderful time of the year.


The two at the top of my list are:


Desk Set with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

My favorite Desk Set quotes:

Bunny Watson: I don't smoke, I only drink champagne when I'm lucky enough to get it, my hair is naturally natural, I live alone... and so do you.
Richard Sumner: How do you know that?
Bunny Watson: Because you're wearing one brown sock and one black sock



Family Stone with Diane Keaton, Luke Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Sarah Jessica Parker and others.

My favorite Family Stone quotes:
"You have a freak flag. You just don't fly it."
"Don't dilly-dally there, pretty lady. We're all gonna be down here talking about you."
Both by the Luke Wilson character, hmmmm.....


I love these movies for different reasons that I won't go into here. But I will recommend that you watch these along with your Christmas favorites.
Let me know what you think.
I am so grateful this is going to be the best Christmas ever (at least until next year...)!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the movie ideas. Will watch them.
:)LEK