05 November 2008

Ballot 101

Before I get to the good stuff, I have a quick question:
I want to get something straight.

A convicted felon cannot vote, but a convicted felon can run for political office?

One of my very loyal library patrons was convicted of burglary ten years ago. He is now, for all purposes, a single father trying very hard to raise a two year old that has a energy level similar to the Tasmanian Devil from the old school Looney Tune cartoons. Sometimes this kid moves so fast, you can't see him. Tuesday I asked this father if he voted yet. "No, I lost my voting rights." I asked him how long that was for. He said forever. Well, okay. It is what it is, I guess. I had forgotten this price to be paid for a felony conviction but if this is a consequence, so be it.
But unless I'm mistaken, and set me straight if I am, there's a man running for senator in Alaska who was recently convicted of seven (SEVEN!) felonies. I say 'running' because last I heard the race was too close to call. I actually find myself speechless in face of this ridiculous reality. Sometimes we really suck.



Better stuff........:

I have three children: Two boys, neither of whom is registered to vote. And my daughter, who is not yet old enough.

When I learned the boys don't vote, I admit I chewed on them a little bit. I let it be known that I thought this was wrong and what were they going to do about it right now! as only a mother can.

Since then, it occurred to me, I never taught them.

I never thought to teach them, offer to go with them, get them a voter's registration and show them my absentee ballot. Or, Genius, *head slap* take them with me when I voted in person. Take them by their little hands, back when their hands were still little, and let them walk with me into their local elementary school and watch me vote. I do not know how I missed this.

Now I know they are perfectly capable and behave in an adult manner on most days, so they could have done this on their own. Most do. But why wouldn't I want to be part of this, show them. It would have been a great memory for me, and hopefully for them as well. It would have been my privilege and I missed the opportunity.

Parenting is indescribably and impossibly impossible but there are some amazing things we are privileged to teach these innocent victims: Walking, bike riding, proper potty practices, Lego sorting, cooking, Zelda on Gameboy, shoe matching and voting.

I'm sure at some point in school, they were taught about bills, laws, senators, judges and government type facts that also included how we, as American citizens, get to vote for our leaders, as opposed to having them thrust upon us, (in theory). Yet as far as I know, there was no practical lesson or demonstration on how to place one's vote.

When I got home today, my daughter needed to use my computer to do homework. She sat next to me working, typing away. We had some light political talk in between the sentences of her creative writing assignment.

Then out of the blue, at least from her perspective, I declared,

"When you turn eighteen, I'm getting you a voter's registration."

It probably sounded like an ominous parental threat. "And I'll help you fill it out. I am totally goin' with you the first time you vote."

She looked at me blankly waiting for the point. I explained, "I think your brothers don't vote because they don't know how it works and they won't admit it." And like the great daughter that she is, she completely agreed with me. "Exactly." Just what I needed to hear.
Hmmm, that's odd. I wonder what she wants......kidding.


"I should have taken them with me when I voted."

"You took me," she said.

"I did not!" I said, in all astonishment. "How old were you?"

"I was pretty little. All I remember is we went into some kind of booth."

Yea! Hurray me. Score one for the mom. One out of three, could be worse. In baseball I would be batting 300. Now I don't exactly remember this event so I can't actually claim the memory. But she can.

Here's what I think, in case you were wondering:

I propose that schools should teach voting. Maybe they already do, but I don't think so. I believe it should be a requirement in their junior year of school. They should set up a mock polling place that looks exactly like they could likely expect the next year when they turn eighteen. With faux election volunteers staffing the room, as they actually do on Election Day. They should learn how to step up to the table and 'sign in.' They could see the different voting methods: paper ballot, touch screen, absentee, chad punching and any others I've left out. They could see voter's registration cards. They could 'pretend vote,' then turn in their completed ballots and watch how the counting happens. They'd get a sticker that says "I fake voted."

Imagine the generation of registered, educated and confident voters that could be produced. I wonder how many people in our country don't vote because they simply don't know how and are embarrassed to ask. I suspect it's significant.

My daughter turns eighteen in a few months. I am going to wrap up a voter's registration and put it among her gifts. Happy Birthday to you.

Then I'm giving one to each of her brothers.


What am I thankful for today, November 5th, 2008?

I'm thankful for the two men I saw on the side of the road, on my way to work, removing political signs. The bed of their full size truck was completely crammed with signs and sticks. I wish I'd stopped and thanked them. I should have. But for whatever it's worth here, Thank you so much. I'm grateful and impressed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A felon can run if he was on the ticket before the race, but if he wins, he cannot serve. Felons cannot hold an office. In winning, he would be removed from office and a provisional election would be held, hence keeping the win in the same party. Politics, eh?

Trust, me, it's both parties, not just the big R's. Old trick, new dog.

LK

Barbie Scarlet said...

I appreciate the information Ellie.

I'm glad to know that it isn't what it appeared on the surface.

The entire process is sometimes discouraging: fundraising, lobbying, campaigning and politics in general. It can feel as if common sense doesn't stand a chance.

Miss you ~ B