21 November 2008

All my readings point to something big on the horizon

Sometimes things are not what they seem. The date of this blog is one of them.

It's Thanksgiving in just a few days. I came into this month truly determined to focus on gratitude. And I've had some success.

I must say if I am to set my energy into anything as I proceed through out my typical day, my typical month, gratitude might be the very best. How can I possibly go wrong watching for things to hold up in gratitude? Scanning the horizon of my day in hopes of the most shiny. It feels like a most honorable and worthy personal, emotional investment.

I believe firmly that if you go through life looking for things to complain about, you will surely find them. Nice work! 'How's that workin' for ya?'

I could be wrong. Maybe where your expectations dwell has nothing to do with what comes into your day, into your life. Maybe. Maybe you could spend your whole day watching for great things for which to be grateful and you come up empty handed. 'I could be wrong, but I doubt it.' And what if I am wrong? What have you lost?

"If I'm wrong, nothing happens! We go to jail - peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it! But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing... Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters." Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I challenge you to spend the rest of this day, watching very specifically, very actively and very hopefully for amazing, inspiring, heart warming. See what you see! Write it down. And get back to me with the details if you feel so inclined. I would in fact, be ever so grateful.

I'm grateful today for Dr. Peter Venkman.

"You're right, no human being would stack books like this."

No comments: