08 November 2008

Non-Partisan Gratitude

Okay, I know I've said in a previous blog post that it isn't the thought that counts. But if you are going to be scrolling back to use my words against me, we're gonna need to have a talk. Because just so you know, I always reserve the right to completely contradict myself at will. And I also reserve the right to look you straight in the face after you've called me out and say "I don't know what you're talking about."

It was my intent, my thought to write here about Veteran's Day. And in fact I did manage to get a good number of words out and in a relatively orderly manner but the thought, once in the light of day, took an unexpected direction that I didn't foresee and I'm not going to be able to use it here today. Maybe, hopefully another day.

In the name of Veteran's Day and in honor of what it represents, I do not want to send words out into the universe with any inflammatory or controversial opinions that would detract from the spirit of the day. The strong feelings that began to come out unexpectedly as I typed earlier were not about whether we should be at war or not. It wasn't about the rightness or wrongness of any previous wars. It was about the way our veterans are treated stateside. I cannot talk about that here today.



What I will say is that I think you,

yes YOU,

should make a point of thanking a veteran this week. I'm not asking you, I'm telling you, and it's my blog so I can do what I want.



Here is your Barbie's Blog Prime Directive:

Shake a veteran's hand. Say "Happy Veteran's Day" if you don't know what else to say.

Last year right around Veteran's Day, I stopped a former soldier on his way out of the library, offered my hand and said that I wanted to thank him for serving in our country's military. He was visibly grateful. He said no one else had mentioned it at all. I took no personal pride in this fact but only felt intense sadness on behalf of this veteran and so many like him.

This year I will shake more than one hand. I'm going to see how many I can shake. It can be awkward, I admit. I started while I was out shopping two days ago. Stopping a stranger you pass in a grocery store parking lot can feel odd. I don't care. If you are about to pass a service person in uniform say "Happy Veteran's Day." It will brighten two people's day.

If you don't say it, they may not hear it at all.

This is not just a day off from my work at the library. Or a day to sleep in for my high school daughter. This day is in honor of an entire population within the American society, most of which I suspect do not hear 'Thank you!' enough.

Regardless of your feelings about our current wars and the administration who lead our county into them, honor our soldiers. Shake a hand.

Today I'm so grateful that I am learning the intense, priceless benefits we reap from the opportunity to express our appreciation. I didn't always understand this.

It is my privilege to thank a veteran, and really the very least I can do.

You try it and let me know how it goes.

No comments: