02 November 2008

Live Long and Prosper

It's November 2, 2008 and I'm thankful.

Today I'm feeling warm and fuzzy appreciation for the falling back that occurred last night while I slept.

This past week in anticipation of the nation's return to Standard Time, there was a 'news' story that people seem to have less heart attacks the Monday after the turning back of the clocks. The thinking is just that one hour of sleep makes us more heart healthy. This could be, but I'm thinking something else.

I don't know about you, but I don't actually end up getting an extra hour of sleep. Somewhere deep in the dark, quiet places of my brain that I'm not in direct contact with, I 'know' there is an extra hour. So what ends up happening pretty much every year is that I don't actually get an extra hour of sleep, those sixty minutes just get absorbed in my evening or the next morning.

Kind of like time afloat.

In spite of this, I still actually feel the extra hour. The morning after the time switch, I feel less groggy. I wake up more fully, more quickly. I don't seem to have that non-alcohol hangover from daily stress and the progressive build-up of non-rest.

My spirit feels the extra hour somehow and it's good.

For this I'm thankful....

No comments: