17 November 2008

I'm writing this down. This is good stuff.

One of the best suggestions I've ever taken was 3 x 5 cards.

I've read many many books so far this lifetime and I'm often moved and inspired. I've read some grand and profound ideas or perspectives that have had warming affects on my spirit, my heart.

I've thought to myself "I'll always remember this,"

"This is such wisdom, I'll take this and apply it to my life,"

"These words are going to change the way I live...." and other such. I've written in the margins, I've made myself flash cards, I've repeated the new found wisdom to my family and friends. I was all in.

I can, in all honesty, say that none of these nuggets of sage advice took hold.
Except for one. 3x5 cards.

In the book Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott has some precious suggestions that I go back to, when I remember. ('Remember' being the key words here....)
Permission to write freely with 'Shitty First Drafts.'
Keep plugging away with 'Bird by Bird, buddy. Bird by Bird.'
And be careful the voices in your head with 'Kf'd Radio.'

It's a valuable book in my life. And (here's the rub) if I think about it, I can go back and extract any of these tools when I need them.

But the book wisdom, the precious gem she held out for me that I don't even have to think about in order to use is 3x5 cards. It is Anne Lamott's suggestion to keep note cards always handy. At the bed side, in one's purse, in the car. At the ready. I have a stack in my bathroom. Always have cards near because you never know when you'll be struck with the best idea you'll ever have.

Prior to 3x5s, I would be driving in my car on my way to this unimportant destination or that, and I'll have a brilliant, earth shattering thought. Some revolutionary, pivotal idea. And I know for a fact that there is no way in heaven I'll ever forget this. No way. This is so big, I couldn't forget. Impossible.

Minutes later when I arrive, or more likely, hours later when it occurs to me that there was something I needed to remember, I'd think 'Hmmm, what was that?' I won't necessarily even remember what kind of thing I was supposed to remember.
Was it call the dentist when I get home?
Was it check one of the kids' homework?
Was it pick up St. Patrick's Day gifts?
What was it I was supposed to remember? But it's all for nothing, because it's now long, long gone. *sniff, sniff* I hate when that happens.

Except it almost never happens anymore because I always have 3x5 cards with me. They are every where. I'll write down a title idea, or an interesting character's name, or a quote or dialogue blurb. I will hear a funny line and ask, "can I use that?" and write that down too. When I've temporarily run short of cards, I've written on the back of receipts, in the palm of my hand, on the due date sticker on the back of a library book.

When people ask "What book changed your life?" my answer is Bird by Bird. Maybe not in the 'moving to a monastery and shaving my head' type of life change, but a better kind. The kind of change that I was meant for all along. Treasuring my words, capturing my ideas, honoring my thoughts and taking nothing for granted.

It was this life changing advice and others like it that have helped me build up my "I'm a writer" confidence. My belief in my writing self.


I'm thankful for Bird By Bird.

I am thankful I am a 3x5 card carrying author.

No comments: