19 November 2008

Midnight Blues

Yesterday I read the blog post of a friend of mine. Her writing lately is spooky in it's familiarity. There are things she's written recently that could have come out of my own head, my own past. I really enjoyed the entire piece.

But my favorite parts were her words about ink and paper and stationary stores. I'm right there and wondering if in fact she and I were separated at birth.

I love school supplies, office supplies, desk accessories, stationary chotchkies.

I could spend all day leisurely browsing the rows of pens. I most love fountain pens, but also adore highlighters, Sharpies, old school Flairs.
I love mechanical pencils. Loaded with the sound of surplus leads stored inside.
And holy smokes, I love the smell of a new box of crayons. Most kids would sniff the permanent markers. I'd get high huffing the 64 Crayolas box.
I love plastic coated paperclips in all colors. I'm not so crazy about the butterfly clips but use them if they are pink or red.
I am an idiot for notebooks of lined paper, graph paper, pink paper, unlined too.
Post-it-notes cost their weight in gold but I indulge in those sometimes too.

I have secret stashes at my house, in case of an office supply emergency. Some are actually under lock and key. (Well, I have the key hidden away. Don't try to get it out of me.) If you ever find me passed out, wave a sharp, new magenta or red violet crayon under my nose and I'll come around.

I am thankful for office supplies. Hint, hint....

No comments: